Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 1

For my senior project I chose to observe a local family care clinic. Unsure of the career path I wish to pursue, I believe that having hands on learning experience will help guide me to the career that will best suit me. After weeks of emailing and planning, today began my week long internship under the supervision of Tammy Komenda. When I arrived they gave me a stack of papers at least four inches thick and told me to pull the patient file that the paper belongs to, add the paper to the file and move the file to another shelf. Immediately, I knew I was in for a long day. After I finished that task, Melinda, who works at the front desk, asked me to clean up the file cabinets. By the time I finished straightening out all the files, it was time for lunch and I was more than ready to take a break.
After lunch, Lizzie, who assists Melinda at the front, went home sick so I was able to take her place. I answered the phones, took appointments, faxed documents, requested forms, filed paperwork, checked people in, verified insurance and gave stickers of Elmo to crying children. It was a very busy afternoon so it was impertinent that I learned fast.
Having worked in retail for almost a year, I have learned that people can be incredibly rude. My hope was that once I leave retail, the rudeness might stop or at least occur less frequently. I am sad to report that this is not true. Many patients and insurance companies were rude and impatient. I am beginning to realize that this is something I will have to overcome in any profession that I choose.
Overall the day went very well. It was informative and I was glad that I was able to learn so quickly; had I not the day would have been much more difficult. I am excited to go tomorrow and see what the day will bring.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the Elmo stickers worked! Interesting perspective on "customers' no matter what business you are in. Glad though that your first day seemed to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell this is only going to get more interesting (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible first day Carly! I look forward to reading more about your senior project experience this week.
    -Michael Wilson

    ReplyDelete